More than 35 years ago, the United Nations General Assembly took an important step in promoting the idea that everyone deserves a decent place to live by declaring the first Monday in October would be World Habitat Day.
On Monday, October 4, 2021, Habitat for Humanity joins with our partners around the world to rededicate ourselves to recognizing the basic right to adequate shelter.
Today we invite all of our partners, volunteers and supporters to come together as one network, one voice, in communicating that:
- Every one of us deserves the opportunity for a better future.
- A decent place to live can remove barriers to opportunity, health and success that might have been part of a family’s life for years and in many cases for generations.
- It is unacceptable that even before the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 17 million U.S. households were paying half or more of their income on housing. Now, the significant economic impacts of COVID-19 have made housing affordability out of reach for even more families.
Help us spread the work about the importance of World Habitat Day by promoting it on social media and the web.
Our social media toolkit gives you the resources you need to help promote World Habitat Day leading up to and during our global events.
Facts you can include on social media:
- On World Habitat Day, Habitat for Humanity joins the United Nations and organizations around the world in raising awareness, educating, and mobilizing individuals and communities to take action on the current global housing crisis.
- During World Habitat Day, Habitat draws attention to the important role decent housing plays in removing barriers to opportunity, success and health that might have been part of a family’s life for years, if not generations.
Don’t forget to use the hashtag #WorldHabitatDay