“How can I apply to build a home with Habitat?”
Every year, Honolulu Habitat hosts Open Enrollment for our Home Build Program. During this time, individuals and families interested in partnering with us can attend virtual information sessions to learn about our program and apply to become a homeowner.
Open Enrollment begins on Monday, April 26, 2021 and closes Wednesday, May 26, 2021.
Habitat’s path to homeownership is an important and in-depth process, requiring hard work, time and dedication. Our team is here to help guide you through the application process and prepare you for homeownership. This guide will help you determine if a partnership with Honolulu Habitat is right for your family and what you can do today to get started.
- Review our Home Build Program Guide
- Download and review the application
- Attend a virtual information session
- Watch our information video!
Who can apply?
There are four tenants of eligibility to build a home with Honolulu Habitat:
- Land – On Oahu, applicants must currently own land without a mortgage or be named as the lessee on a long-term leasehold (for example, through Department of Hawaiian Home Lands)
- Ability to Pay – Families must demonstrate steady income and be in good financial health
- Need for Housing – Applicants must currently be living in substandard housing (overcrowded, unsafe, etc.) or cost-burdened housing (paying more than 30% of household’s income on housing costs)
- Willingness to Partner – Families that partner with Habitat are active participants in the construction of their home and the homes of other Habitat families.
You can download a complete list of qualifications here.
What happens next?
After your completed application is submitted by mail or in-person, it will be reviewed and processed by our team. You will be contacted within 30 days to inform you on the status of your application.
Please contact our Family Services Department if you have questions or require assistance with your application.