Critical Home Repair
We offer home repair services to homeowners so they can continue to live in safe, decent homes for years to come. By fixing the long-deferred maintenance projects, critical repairs and code violations, we help families stay in their existing homes and avoid displacement.
We are now accepting applications for Critical Home Repair!
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Critical Home Repair work?
Families in need of home repairs partner with Habitat based on income, need and a willingness to partner. Habitat uses volunteer labor and donated/discounted materials (when possible) to keep costs low. Upon completion of repairs, the homeowner repays an affordable, no-interest loan to cover the cost of work. Payments are placed in a revolving fund to help Critical Home Repair serve other families.
For a complete list of qualifications view our program guide.
- Homeowners in need of home repairs to extend the safety, accessibility or durability of their home.
- Existing homeowners on Oahu who own and occupy their home.
- Families earning between 30% and 80% Area Median Income (AMI) for the County of Honolulu.
- Homeowners willing to partner with Habitat to repair their home.
Why do we offer home repair services?
Safe, well-maintained homes are critical to families’ health and well being. Low-income homeowners often lack the financial flexibility to make repairs, leading to risk of displacement and unsafe housing conditions. With every home we repair, we help preserve Hawaii’s limited affordable housing inventory, provide the opportunity for kupuna to age-in-place safely and strengthen the communities we all share.
- Window and door replacement
- Installation of ramps, rails, grab bars, accessible shower stalls, etc.
- Minor exterior repairs to siding and trim
- Replacement of steps, stairs and handrails to improve safety
- Minor repairs to single-story roof, soffit and fascia
- Electrical and plumbing repairs
- Interior repairs
Projects that do not qualify
- Aesthetic (non-critical) home improvements
- Beautification projects
- Detached garages and carports
- Total roof replacements, repairs to second story or steep pitched roofs
- Any project deemed outside scope of work